The charity wanted to warn students and parents that they could be at risk of serious electrical safety hazards because of landlord and letting agent negligence. Research commissioned by the Charity suggested that a staggering 37% of landlords and letting agents failed to fix exposed wiring when reported, 35% never rectified damp, condensation or flooding around the electrics, whilst 30% left issues with scorching around sockets and light fittings unresolved.
Excellent coverage was secured for the campaign, with the story featuring prominently on the national news agenda. Sky News Radio and BBC Radio 5 Live Morning Reports pre-recorded interviews to broadcast as soon as the embargo broke.
On the campaign launch day, Electrical Safety First spokespeople Emma Apter and Penny Walshe conducted simultaneous interviews from early with the likes of BBC 5 Live Breakfast, BBC Breakfast, LBC and BBC Scotland as well as a host of regional commercial and BBC stations.
Jake, who was put in a hazardous electrical situation at university, was the case study for the campaign and conducted interviews with BBC Breakfast and BBC 5 Live Breakfast.
We also produced supporting videos for Electrical Safety First’s social media campaign #dearstudent. The content featured Made in Chelsea’s Andy Jordan and was placed on their social channels, campaign page and various student websites.